The purpose of the Synchronized Measurements and Advanced Real-time Tools working group (SMART) is to investigate, collaborate, and to remove obstacles for the implementation and operator use of advanced Synchrophasor and real-time network applications in control room settings. The SMART will support the definition of associated data analysis; control room monitoring & analytic tools; and real-time local, sub-grid, and regional controls for better planning and operation, asset management and improved reliability of the Western Interconnection.
Objective and Goals:
The objective of the SMART working group is to resolve technical hurdles in existing and future control room tools and find most efficient and cost effective solutions through productive collaboration among participating entities.
The SMART working group (WG) held its first meeting at SCE Advanced Technology Center in October 10 (PM) and October 11 (AM) 2017. The meeting approved the SMART WG Charter and its organization Chart, and identified a few key goals to be focused on for the next 12-18 months. In particular,
- Operationalizing online Transient Stability Analysis Tool (TSAT) in Peak and CAISO’s Control rooms
- Collaborate Real-time Oscillation Detection for Operation Monitoring among Peak, BPA and other relevant entities
- Promote PMU data sharing and operational use cases among WISP/PRSP participants
Membership and Reporting:
- Operating entities of Peak member entities and WECC binding with the Peak Universal Data Sharing Agreement (UDSA).
- SMART reports to Peak RC User Group and WECC JSIS meetings